to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Is there life after A.C.C  (Read 13048 times)

fritz fraser

Is there life after A.C.C
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »
IS THERE LIFE AFTER A.C.C
Joined A.C.C as an apprentice in 1960,  passed out 1963, posted to Neinburg /Germany, had a good time. 1967 posted to Bovington. 1969/70 slight clash of personalities with the management, (that’s putting it politely) so decided the army/catering/myself were not a good combination so got out.
Started work as a general labourer on a construction site. After a few weeks was asked if I wanted to join concrete gang. Very steep learning curve. How to do shuttering/steel fixing /read drawings etc. Hard work/good pay/ although I must admit when you are 12 stories up in the middle of winter it tended to be rather cold. After a few years I was running concrete gang but in 1979 the back started playing up so I got a job running a lathe in an iron foundry. (final turn on tank pistons)This only lasted a year because I found the unions were as bad as the army.

1980 started work for an electronics company, building/ installing/repairing electronic speech systems. Fair amount to learn about electronics/soldering/sheet metal work/welding etc.. Main clients Tesco/London underground/London bus garages.

1987 Saw a job advertised at local real ale brewery. Deliveries/ cask filling/ maintenance etc. Applied. Accepted. After a month or so the head brewer (as he was the only brewer he had to be the head brewer) handed in his notice and I was asked if I wanted the job. Three weeks to learn how to mash in/ boil /collect/ ferment /fine the brews plus washing yeast/customs forms etc.. Brewed Ringwood Best/Fortyniner and the famous Old Thumper.
When I started I was brewing 3/4000 gal a week but due to continual increase in sales we had to keep expanding the brewery. As I knew about construction work, as well as brewing I was overseeing the works but that meant that we got what we wanted not what the builders wanted.
By the time I finished I was brewing 20,000 gals. a week
2001 Slipped up on concrete floor, (sober at the time) head hit floor/brain damage/memory loss/can’t work.
To try to repair memory I am doing an O.U degree course in cosmology/quantum physics. To pass requires 360 points. I’ve got 240 so far.
No pensions but an interesting and enjoyable life so far

Army Catering Corps

Is there life after A.C.C
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
Re: Is there life after A.C.C
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:11:52 AM »
Wow thats some work history you have there  :o My big passion is computers and I'm very good with them so I was interested in quantum physics. and how it was related to computers, but quite frankly I found it too difficult to grasp, so its on a back burner till I have the time to figure it out.

james ongley

Re: TROLLS on Line
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:47:27 AM »
Is there life after ACC. In ref. to reply 20 ACC Memorial Hall apparently not- you become aTroll,the wife
would then be aTrollop. It´s amazing how long forgotten words come back to life in computer language.

Sorry Ian, but it´s not well said Brian! At all. You can´t ask members to air their views on a subject
and then pull them down if it differs to yours.
Chefs, who joined the ACC - 2-3 years before we became RLC and who then went on to serve for another
10/15 years, may feel inclined to think that way. We have to accept this and show them the same
respect as we would expect ourselves.
To rephrase the statement made! It´s a sad person who posts comments  aimed at hurting other peoples
lifes. The motto for the future should be - Feed the Troops and the Trolls  no matter what -

Enough said on this matter! Let´s get this Petition topped up. 696 registered members and not even
300 signatures to date. For a Corps of thousands this is a poor show. Maybe the rank and file are
waiting for their leaders. After the motto: If they can´t be bothered why should I.

Offline fritzfraser

• phpBB Pte.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »
Joined A.C.C as an apprentice in 1960,  passed out 1963, posted to Neinburg /Germany, had a good time. 1967 posted to Bovington. 1969/70 slight clash of personalities with the management, (that’s putting it politely) so decided the army/catering/myself were not a good combination so got out.
Started work as a general labourer on a construction site. After a few weeks was asked if I wanted to join concrete gang. Very steep learning curve. How to do shuttering/steel fixing /read drawings etc. Hard work/good pay/ although I must admit when you are 12 stories up in the middle of winter it tended to be rather cold. After a few years I was running concrete gang but in 1979 the back started playing up so I got a job running a lathe in an iron foundry. (final turn on tank pistons)This only lasted a year because I found the unions were as bad as the army.

1980 started work for an electronics company, building/ installing/repairing electronic speech systems. Fair amount to learn about electronics/soldering/sheet metal work/welding etc.. Main clients Tesco/London underground/London bus garages.

1987 Saw a job advertised at local real ale brewery. Deliveries/ cask filling/ maintenance etc. Applied. Accepted. After a month or so the head brewer (as he was the only brewer he had to be the head brewer) handed in his notice and I was asked if I wanted the job. Three weeks to learn how to mash in/ boil /collect/ ferment /fine the brews plus washing yeast/customs forms etc.. Brewed Ringwood Best/Fortyniner and the famous Old Thumper.
When I started I was brewing 3/4000 gal a week but due to continual increase in sales we had to keep expanding the brewery. As I knew about construction work, as well as brewing I was overseeing the works but that meant that we got what we wanted not what the builders wanted.
2001 Slipped up on concrete floor, (sober at the time) head hit floor/brain damage/memory loss/can’t work.
To try to repair memory I am doing an O.U degree course in cosmology/quantum physics. To pass requires 360 points. I’ve got 240 so far.
No pensions but an interesting and enjoyable life so far

Offline fritzfraser

• phpBB Pte.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »

No pensions but an interesting and enjoyable life so far.
[15 dec 09 BA/BSc in astrophysics]

Offline mick jones

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:44:08 AM »
Fritz,
      Its no suprise that you went into anything to do with space as you were always away with the fairies when you were my room nco in 1964,
                    WELL DONE.

Offline fritzfraser

• phpBB Pte.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »
Sorry. Not guilty. I am not disputing the away with the fairies bit but as far as I remember I was still a private (and proud of it ) in Neinburg in 1964. Fritz

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »