to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Singapore Re-Visited - April 2012  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Singapore Re-Visited - April 2012
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
After visiting many times since I retired from the Corps in 87, I thought I'd travel memory lane one last time, (oh for a lottery win to dispel that thought), this time missing out downtown Singa's, been there, done that and Bugis is long gone.  I stayed in the Changi Village Hotel in the heart of the village and a skip away from Changi Beach, opposite on Netheravon Road is the Civil Service Club, formerly the Transit Camp................they've renovated it slightly!  The beach is now well landscaped and has an excellent boardwalk with custom built BBQ areas and plenty of shade.............something that was not around in 69 - 71.

I visited my old house in Jalan Pacheli off Burghley Drive in Serangoon Gardens, the area has seen many changes over the years and more still since I last visited Serangoon 15 years back.  Serangoon now has many high rise condominiums around in the area, but many of the old houses and bungalows that we lived in are still around and have had major makeovers.

I took a ride up Jalan Kayu in Seletar, the old shop fronts have long gone and new modern shops are now in their place.  RAF Seletar MQ's and singly accomodation are still standing in some areas, though major work has taken place here in the past few years.

A visit to Kranji CWG Cemetery was a must, after all these men & women paid the ultimate price in the defence of Singapore in WW2.  The grounds as always were immaculate.

Right next door to Kranji now is the Singapore Turf Club with its own rail link.  Anyone who had the pleasure of travelling in a "pirate taxi" or local bus would be amazed at the transport systems available today, the train is all computer operated with no driver.......makes the Tube look like something out of the dark ages!

I finished off with a visit to the Changi POW Chapel, near the old prison, this now also has a museum attached.  I didn't notice any Japaneese visitors, not surprising as they do not like to be reminded of their war crimes.

My last visit?  Who knows, whatever, my heart will always be in Singapore and with its lovely people. Majullah Singapura!  :'(

Army Catering Corps

Singapore Re-Visited - April 2012
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Singapore Re-Visited - April 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »
And a little overlooked matter of finances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »
 ;D Ah the opportunity has come around again and I'll be off down Memory Lane again on Saturday, this time with my son, Darren who has footed the bill!  Staying at the Changi Village Hotel again.
Only stopping 2 nights though, before moving on to Japan .  
Just enough time for a few Tiger Beers in the Raffles Long Bar and some makan down on Boat & Collyer Quays.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:43:39 AM by Ian E Scott »

Offline denis huxley

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
Your son is a star. Have a fine stop in Singa,and don't mention it in Tokyo!

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »
 ;D The wanderer returns!
Great 2 nights in Singa's, though since my last visit last year prices seem to have gone up in the City itself. 
It is no longer cheaper to buy your cameras etc in Singas, a quick google search will prove that UK is cheaper these days!  2 half yards & a 2pt jug of Tiger in Raffles set us back S$115 or £63 to me and you..........we made sure that we had our moneys worth out of the free monkey nuts on the tables. 
Those of you that served in Singa's will remember that the downtown NAAFI, the Britannia Club was right outside the main Raffles entrance, (someone must have had a planning sense of humour back in the old days), this has been turned into very, very, very expensive apartments.  There will be no more drunken Squaddies falling out of that front door.
There's a new hotel in Singa's called the Marina Bay Sands, costs £250 a night.................and has an attraction called SkyPark at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel.  The views from the observation deck are brilliant.  Check it out here:   http://www.marinabaysands.com/sands-skypark/
This may'be my last trip, but who knows, I may yet get to swim in the SkyPark pool!!!!!!!

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »