to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Proposed Television programme  (Read 3307 times)

Heritage Television

Proposed Television programme
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »

Napoleon said 'an army marches on its stomach' (although he probably lifted itfrom Frederick the Great!) - but how did they get full stomachs during battle? It's not as if they could stop fighting to go for lunch - or even coffee! We hear and see many documentaries of the carnage of the fighting forces - even the medical corps has had its TV day - but what of the caterers? Who were they? What dangers did they face?
I am in the initial stages of preparing a programme proposal to be presented to one of the broadcast television channels called 'Lunch on the Line' which will explore the logistics and problems of feeding troops in the front line through the ages up to modern times. It will look at it from both sides - the caterers and the troops - so I will also be putting this request in one of the forces journals.
I've found a few accounts from the First World War, eg: where caterers had to deliver the bully beef before dawn to avoid being shot - and the fatal (for them) consequences of being late, leaving the troops with dry bread and biscuits for the day, but there must be many other stories from those two dreadful wars.
And what about today? How different is it for the men serving in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Initial research shows there is very little information available so - can anyone help? All information will be treated with respect and any used will be attributed. I'm planning to produce a book to accompany the programme which I hope will tell the story of these men and give them the recognition they deserve.
Many thanks
Di Shelley
Producer

Army Catering Corps

Proposed Television programme
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
Its Legit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:25:39 PM »
Just in case any one was wondering, this post is legitimate, Im sure some of you lot want your 5 mins of fame (or you know someone else who does) so come on swing the light pull up a sand bag and lets hear your war stories.

ACC Admin

Brian  :roll:

Army Catering Corps

Its Legit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:25:39 PM »