to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: ACC Memorial Hall Under Threat  (Read 48873 times)

Offline Bobnicol

• phpBB L/Cpl.
Re: ACC Memorial Hall Under Threat
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
Forgot an address
Lord Astor
Shadow Minister for defence
House of Lords
London
SW1A 0PW

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »

paulatpub

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:45 AM »
hi I have also setup a cause in facebook because it seems more people join causes it is found at;
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/235682/35409391?m=a041d4cc

lets see if we can raise more awareness.
regards

No1Burner

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 05:44:11 AM »
I am probably going to get a bit of flack for what I am about to say; I wonder how many members of the ACC / RLC past or present can actually say they have used the Memorial Hall as a place of quiet reflection, visited to pay respects to the Corps fallen, or indeed have ever been within it's doors?

I left the ACC in 1974 and have never been back to Aldershot since I left boy service in 1969. I don't recall ever being in there. However, I am very proud to have been a member of the Corps.

I hope I am wrong but I feel that most of the 'outrage' vented on this topic is due to the fact it is to be used as a Hindu temple and family center, with the emphasis on the temple. It will be used as a place of worship, and more to the point, probably be used by far more people.

As mentioned earlier in the thread it is currently being used to store films. Is this a worthier use of the hall than a place of worship?

Then again, it has also been pointed out that response to the No 10 petition has been rather less than overwhelming considering the numbers of people who have been proud to say 'We sustain'.

As Dave Allen used to say at the end of his shows 'may your God go with you'

Offline Bobnicol

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
The ACC Memorial Hall was built through donations from members of the ACC as a memorial to our War Dead as such there should be no debate.
You say you have never been in the building , but as a boy soldier you would have been told the history of it and had a Christmas concert in the hall.

If the powers that be said they was going to knock down the Guards memorial on Horseguards and replace it with a statue of Buddha you would join a long line of people wanting to complain.
I try to visit Aldershot every couple of years the last time it had a 12ft fence round it had to find orderly officer to open it up.

What you have to remember is that although the ACC does not exist anymore our War Dead are still Dead and our Book of remembrance should stay where it is along with the memorabilia from the Far East.

Bob

No1Burner

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 07:17:07 AM »
I understand the depth of feeling that you and many others have over this emotive issue but I am beginning to feel that it is not the fact that it is a change of use per se that has you outraged, but rather the fact it is to be used by another religion.

"If the powers that be said they was going to knock down the Guards memorial on Horseguards and replace it with a statue of Buddha you would join a long line of people wanting to complain."

Your words but my bold;

I resent your implication that I would join a long line of people wanting to complain. It is this kind of narrow minded and bigoted comment that serves your purpose no good at all. It merely illustrates your true feelings and, I fear, those comments border on racist.

As a boy soldier I have no recollection of ever attending a concert, Christmas or otherwise, neither do I recall ever being regaled with a history. However that was 40 years ago and I stand to be corrected if my memory has failed me.

Finally, I agree that the war dead are still dead and that the book of remembrance should be available to those who wish to look through it and honour those mentioned in it's pages. But surely a more fitting place could be found for it? The garrison church perhaps? Now I do remember going there most Sundays for church parade. Many churches and cathedrals have books of remembrance that are displayed under glass with a page being turned each day. The ACC has passed into the history books, it matters not a whit that the hall was paid for by donation. It too will eventually become 'not fit for purpose' , what then?

pitbull10

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »
"I resent your implication that I would join a long line of people wanting to complain. It is this kind of narrow minded and bigoted comment that serves your purpose no good at all. It merely illustrates your true feelings and, I fear, those comments border on racist".

What on earth are you prattling on about "racist" "Narrow minded bigoted"

In answer to your question every year on the anniversary of the sinking of the sir galahad i attend and read the book of remembrance, as four fellow ACC members gave there lives that day, for you and our country.
not that i would expect a fool like you to even now there names.
It is not wrong to demand the same respect for the ACC dead  as if it was the Para's, Guards, SAS, or any other memorial anywhere in the world.

You Sir do not understand the word proud, please don't use it unless you back it up. You should be ashamed

Rob >:(

Offline Bobnicol

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
Thanks Rob,
If he knew me he would never call me a Racist, he lost the debate as soon as he started name calling.

Bob

No1Burner

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2009, 04:03:12 AM »
I did not call anybody a racist. I did say that the comments bordered on racism. I neglected to add religious intolerance. It seems that Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and, probably, Sikhs, Jews, Janes, Mormons et al would not be considered as suitable alternatives to a secure compound.

The point I was trying to make was that the use of emotive comments such as:

'What about turning The Guards Chapel into a centeral Mosque for all the governments islamic friends working in centeral London.'

'If they really want a Ghurka Temple in Aldershot why not just build one.'

'knock down the Guards memorial on Horseguards and replace it with a statue of Buddha'

'I am very aware of what our Memorial Hall is being used for at this moment in time, namely Army Kinema Services Library, this organisation very graciously took over the safe keeping of our memorial when they took up tenancy and have looked after it on our behalf.'

Would other tenants not do a good job of the safe keeping of the hall?

I would have no problem in joining your worthy efforts if you had confined your argument to the fact the hall was to be used for purposes other than which it was intended.

You are correct on one point though, I have to admit that I do not know the names of the chefs who died on the Sir Gallahad. Neither do I know the names of all the other brave men and women, irrespective of trade, who have perished, not just in that incident; but all others before and since.

However, I am indeed extremely proud to have served in the Army Catering Corps and I am proud to have served with many extraordinary soldiers.

On that note, I respectfully remain... etc

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »
Gents,

Let me as the instigator of this thread bring you bang up to date...

I have received this email from the Controller ACC Association, my apologies for the delay in posting it as I have been on holiday:

"Dear Ian,

You will be delighted to know that Gerald Howarth MP, Conservative Member of Parliament for Aldershot and Shadow Defence Minister has taken up our case as a result of your petition being raised in the House of Commons.

He will visit the Memorial Hall with me and Brig MJ Paterson CBE, former Director of the ACC on Friday 6th March 2009 to see for himself what is at stake.

He has already challenged the Garrison Headquarters regarding the turning of a Christian Memorial into a Hindu Temple and is very concerned that the Hall which means so much to so many is being treated as just another MOD building to be disposed of as they see fit.

I have fully briefed him on the issues and will keep you informed as things progress. We are not 'out of the woods', but are doing all we can to save the Hall.

Mr Howarth said that you may inform members of his involvement with this issue".

Best wishes,

Tony Monk

AC Monk
Lt Col (Ret'd)
Controller ACC Association

We are being listened, this is thanks to all those of you who have written to MP's and signed the Petition and not prattled on like No1Burner!  Well done and Thank You for showing Esprit de Corps in it's time of need

The Petition to date has 405 signatories on it, let's see if we can make it 500+ before the cut off date of 7th April.

As for Mr Price...please stop prattling on about Racism & so on you've completely an utterly not understood something so simple as supporting OUR ACC Association! 
Try reading the thread thoroughly and not selected bits that suit your argument >:(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:47:26 AM by Ian E Scott »

StillPete

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »
Ex ACC and I have only ever used the hall once, but thats not the point.....

I would have no problem with it as a temple, as long as those who use it remembered its origanal purpose and treated it with respect (I know this would happen) To be honest better than a store to hold film in!

Why did I sign the petition and send my emails to friends for support?

The total lack of respect to the ACC/RLC soldiers past and present, by not even having the good manners to ask our thoughts before making this decision.

And you boys need to learn to accept other opinions without reverting to name calling. But this is just my opinion.........

No1Burner

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
Thank you StiliPete, I agree.

Apologies to those who may have taken offense at my recent posts on this subject.

Good luck with your efforts.

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
 ;D 500 Signatories as at 0730hrs today.  Thanks to all who have supported this petition so far.  It is greatly appreciated  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:32:41 PM by Ian E Scott »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
 ;D Thanks to your support we have 550 signatories. 
This Petition has just over a week to run before it closes, if you've not signed it please do so, if you're passing by and have never heard of the ACC....sign it anyway, every signature helps us!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ACCMemorialHall/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:18:59 AM by Ian E Scott »

Jerry Hunter

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 01:43:43 AM »
Ian,
I have just sent an e-mail to my local MP asking for his support also have sent off the petition address to everyone in my address book.
Hope we get a few more signitures

Jerry Hunter

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 02:41:11 AM »
Thanks Jerry, That's gratefully appreciated ;D

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 02:41:11 AM »