to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Demolition starts at St Omer  (Read 9666 times)

dave.r

Demolition starts at St Omer
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »
Driving past St Omer today and a sad sight before my eyes. :'(Demolition has begun :'(. The bar and dining room of the WO'S &SGT'S Mess no longer exist. 
Unfortunately could not get near enough for any decent photos , but if someone can tell me how to get them onto the site I will upload what I have and keep you up to date with the changing skyline of Aldershot. Now going to cry into my beer and remember some good old days.
Dave Rushton

Army Catering Corps

Demolition starts at St Omer
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Demolition starts at St Omer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:08:45 AM »
 :(  Indeed a sad day, I've so many memories of St Omer 99% of them good.  :'(

email Brian Hogg your photo's at  admin(at)armycateringcorps.co.uk and he'll add them to the gallery

Wouldn't have thought it would take too much to knock down, after all much of it was well past it's sell by date not long after it went up.  I was a DWTI when we took the place over in 1970 and there were significant cracks all over the place!  :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:00:54 AM by magpie24 »

james ongley

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
You must have known Sandy Dobson,he was doing drill-weapons at St.Omer in Dec.69 we were in the same squad N-O.64/66. Some say it was a shortcut to the top.Rsm Scott asked me if Iwas interested when I did my J/Man. in 69. The birth of my twins (prem.) cut the course short and the chance was lost.As for the demolition ,I saw the first one in 65.and does anyone have any photo's of the old  St. Omer.

Regards  Jim O.

Jerry Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:42:10 AM »
There goes another part of history down the drain what makes it worse is its part of my history. Fond memories of that place was there in 76. and went back 83 for me B1 & Jnco's course. sad times :(

dave.r

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:58:51 AM »
The strange part about the whole thing is that the blocks in Clayton Bks are being refurbished, plastic coverings over the roofs and new ones going on.
A few years ago I was doing some temping delivering sunbeds and had to deliver one to the block I was in, in C Coy. I will swear that as I entered the block I could hear Paddy O'Shea shouting ,''GET OUTSIDE''!!! Remember the times you were told to get in, get changed and before the second guy had got through the door, ''GET OUTSIDE''. Oh happy days.

Jerry Hunter

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 05:07:26 AM »
I remember those days well. As a young 18 year old lad getting all my kit piled high above my head and running over to the block hoping not to drop anything. Quick change parade get outside in one lot of kit run up to the naffi and back again change into combat trousers No2 jacket  gloves on feet and socks on hands  again run up to naffi and back again LOL.getting my first army haircut from brian the barber LOL
I remember my first  time cooking in the tower block  thought I had made the best thing since sliced bread was invented only to be told "very good chef now garnish with tea leaves and throw in the bin" :)
Well at least we will all have our individual memories of that great place. The place that taught me  how to cook The proper way not like todays chefs in civvie street who can not even boil an egg
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:12:33 AM by Jerry Hunter »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
You must have known Sandy Dobson,he was doing drill-weapons at St.Omer in Dec.69 we were in the same squad N-O.64/66. Some say it was a shortcut to the top.Rsm Scott asked me if Iwas interested when I did my J/Man. in 69. The birth of my twins (prem.) cut the course short and the chance was lost.As for the demolition ,I saw the first one in 65.and does anyone have any photo's of the old  St. Omer.

Regards  Jim O.

And Boy Did The Old School Take Some Knocking Down!

stevethewomble

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:43:06 AM »
spoke to a member of the demolition team in portsmouth yesterday (22/03/09).
he said the tower block is not being blown down but nibbled down (his words) by machine,
would have preferred the quicker option.
 hope to get there soon to see it myself. :'(

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »
Driving past St Omer today and a sad sight before my eyes. :'(Demolition has begun :'(. The bar and dining room of the WO'S &SGT'S Mess no longer exist. 
Unfortunately could not get near enough for any decent photos , but if someone can tell me how to get them onto the site I will upload what I have and keep you up to date with the changing skyline of Aldershot. Now going to cry into my beer and remember some good old days.
Dave Rushton

Hi Dave you can just email them to me at    admin(at)armycateringcorps.co.uk   replace the (at) with @

dave.r

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:14:40 AM »
The Mess is now totally flattened and parts of Group Catering down. I have sent some progress pictures to admin, sorry they are not too detailed as I cannot get any closer.As the skyline changes I will send more photos. I heard the reason they have to nibble the tower down was on environmental grounds. If explosives were used Aldershot would dissapear under a blanket of cockroaches.
Dave Rushton

Offline stampy608

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 06:05:35 AM »
Just a thought albeit a pretty useless one - Do as I did and go on google earth and print an aerial copy of it before they update it into a building site.  Just type in the old postcode and it will take you straight to it. :-[

On a personal note, I wasn't one of the corps favourite sons and my time in apprenticeship wasn't very pleasant,  but I do have some good memories of the place and I appreciate some people will find this year particularly painful.

Of course WE ALL KNOW that the echoes of Paddy O'Shea, Baz Ash, Reg Hill, Chris Mahoney Dave Hankins and many more still rattle around the parade square and will do for many, many years. 

Even now over 30 years on I still twiddle my toes in my boots if I'm stood in one place for more than 5 minutes and I still don't stand with my hands in my pockets and hate those who do.  I haven't touched a pan in anger for over 15 years but my nails are always short.  I rarely complain about the food people serve me because I realise what it takes and how easy it is not to get it right.  I make the most of my time off because for most of us a day off was as rare as rocking horse s**t(unless you played sport for the corps).  Like it or not gents St Omer is genetically in our blood now and we take that with us.

On a lighter note, sad that I'll never learn if the grey squirrels managed to run the red ones out of the trees behind the blocks next to the canal and what's the bet that some of the roaches find new homes in these new accommodation blocks!

Major Wilson(Rtd) - military history teacher in the 70's apprentice side - will his omen of Chinese flip flops coming over the hill toward us become fact?  Was Brian North really doing a sideline in cheap mattress filling and toupee repair?  Guess I'll never know now... ???

pitbull10

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
good thought provoking piece Stampy.

Rob :)

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »
I have just added a new group to the gallery Goodbye to St Omer, the photos are kindly supplied by Dave Rushton, Painful to see that place getting knocked down.  :'(

Heres the link to the gallery

http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk/gall/catalog.php?cat=9

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 01:14:55 AM »
 :'( Thanks for the photo's Dave, I couldn't make it as I was in New Zealand, my heart was with you all though.  So many memories.
 ;D Only Mick Cheesley could perform the March Past with a bloody carrier bag in hand!  ::)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »
 :'( Posted in the New Photo Gallery is the saddest of the demolition photo's. 

The Tower Block is no more!

1 million cockroaches have been made homeless!

RIP St Omer  :'(

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »