to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Death of WO1 (RSM) Rowland Alfred Wright ACC  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Death of WO1 (RSM) Rowland Alfred Wright ACC
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »
Gents,

I am sorry to inform you that Ron (Chunky) Wright died peacefully in The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital on Tuesday 16th November 2010. He had been an In-Pensioner at The Royal Hospital Chelsea for two years and lived in the Infirmary.

Many will remember him as an outstanding RSM, a professional soldier and a good friend.

His son Detlev Fischbach is making the arrangements which are as follows:

The funeral service will take place at The Royal Hospital Chelsea, SW3 4SR on Thursday 9th December at 2 pm

and afterwards:-

A celebration of his life and a gathering of his friends and comrades will take place at The Army Golf Club, Laffan’s Rd, Aldershot, at 4.30 pm

The family would appreciate anyone who would like to say a few words about Ron or relate an anecdote.

Should you wish to convey your condolences please e-mail to: det@fischbach.me.uk

No flowers, but donations may be made to Cancer Research UK or The Chelsea Pensioner’s Appeal.

Please let Tony Monk know if you intend to go to the funeral service as a list of names at the gate will facilitate entry.  Contact Tony at:

tonymonk@accassociation.org

or on 01252 833393

Army Catering Corps

Death of WO1 (RSM) Rowland Alfred Wright ACC
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Death of WO1 (RSM) Rowland Alfred Wright ACC
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:53 AM »
Ron was a lovely man, I first came across him as a very young lad in JTR and then in 1967 when he was RSM Depot when I did an RD tour.

He took me under his wing when I worked Provo and gave me some admin work to do for him rather than the mundane day to day stuff of a guardroom, it was guys like Ron who set me on the right road.  

He may have been small in stature, but he had a big presence and a big, big heart.....and you couldn't say that about many RSM's!

I looked out for him on the telly at this years Festival of Remembrance & Whitehall Cenotaph,  I now know that he was in ill health and couldn't attend.

We had a good chat at Warners 3 years ago and mulled over the "old" days.  He was one of the best!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:25:31 AM by Ian E Scott »

Supachef

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
Sad news indeed, as a 15 year old recruit to JTR in 1964, enlisting straight from school, "Chunky" was my first introduction to the real world. As CSM of C Company he briefed us all on arrival on what we could expect during our basic training.
The conversation I remember to this day and went something like this:
"Right gentlemen, you will all be living closely together so personal hygiene is of paramount importance, you will be expected to shower every day paying particular attention to your buttocks......long pause.............for those of you who don't know where your buttocks are, they are the cheeks of your arse!!!!"

A true gentleman who once met will never be forgotten, along with Daddy Pat you paved the way for us kids to enjoy a fulfilling career and on behalf of all of us who benefitted from your wisdom and advice we salute you. RIP.

james ongley

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:21:27 AM »
hallo Supachef
From reading through your topics and the info given, you must have been in L/M squad.Pete Lines was succeeded by Don White as Plt.Sgt. and Denley-Hill was Plt. Commander.These names should be familiar to you,Dinger Bell, -MacGuire,-Sparks,-McGregor,-Paddy Warke,-Mckay,-kirkham,-Deacon,-Smith,I think he
was nicknamed Cynthia.
When we joined in May64.Chunky was CSM A Coy.and stayed there until the end of 65.CSM.Fletcher took over from him.
See if you can get hold of your squad photo and send it in, some of those mentioned above you will find in the Gallery on the football team picture including big George Condie.
Jim Ongley--Jock.

Supachef

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »
Remember you well Jim, how are you?
I'm Alun Clarke aka Taff, If my memory serves me right you were in Scarisbrick block with us L&M squads.
Remember Chas Povey, John Carlisle, Mick Tall, Paddy Rice etc, wonderful memories and some not so wonderful.

Might have my old squad photo somewhere, i'll try and dig it out and post it. Remember the names you mention very well, also Paddy Fitzsimmons, Mick Long, Phil Nott, wonder what they're all doing now.

It's just a shame that those we remember so well are starting to appear in this obituary section, oh well, nice hearing from you again after all these years. See you around.

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »