to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Simply the best  (Read 20584 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Best Catering Instructor
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 08:45:26 PM »
Quote from: "Alan Myers"
To me Tom Selby was the best butchery instructor the school ever had.

Now no longer with us.

God Bless you Tom.

Alan Myers

More of a Professor of Meat !  Made incisions like a surgeon, never missed a joint or muscle and the commentary was awsome....Sadly we won't see Tom's like again at the School, he was a true Master Butcher

Ian E Scott

Army Catering Corps

Re: Best Catering Instructor
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 08:45:26 PM »

PeteBerry

Simply the best
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 06:07:12 PM »
Sid Swan, bless his soul, I cut the top off my finger on his bacon slicer and he was more worried about the dam bacon than the fact I was bleeding to death LOL I learnt a lot from that guy and to this day I can still butcher like the old ways that he taught me, I tip my hat to a real Gent

Timm

Top Chef
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 08:42:27 PM »
Hi guys
Just found this site and your topic just topped the lot, I joind back in April 69 and remember the good old garages very well, If I remember Sid Swan was very good at thowing things, but the thing that still keps in my mind was the fact the he could cut meat, talk and look up in the air at the same time, when he was talking to you he never looked at you in the eye. And the times he would do the Hand and fingure nail check outside the garage doors. Oh thous were the days.
Timm Turner

lordbyronv

Re: Big Sid
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 04:59:02 AM »
Quote from: "Scottie8722"
Big Sid, (Father of Major Sid Swan) was one of the finest and most genuine instructors at the School.  Sadly, he died a few years ago, but like most of the "Good Guys" his name still comes up in conversation when there is a reunion.
Sid now there was a guy as Scottie says is always in my memory, I remeber my years in training 72/74 his opening gambit "now if you dont listen to me I am going to cut your little cocks off :oops:  :o " from that day I have never forgotten those words and he was a great instructor.

william.bragg@ntlworld.co

Re: Simply the best
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 03:04:44 AM »
Quote from: "Brian"
SSgt. Dodds pastry, this bloke really was good. I learned more in 10 minuets with him than hours with other instructors.

DG

Happy Days?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 06:04:24 AM »
Was at the college from early 69 to 71.
Chef Swan made you go to the cold room by the Garage door to wash your hands in ice cold blood from the drip trays if you complained that the meat was too cold to handle.  

SQMS Rodrigues who would throw small knives darts style at your hands if you were leaning on the old wooden tables during field cookery lessons opposite the old garage

Bill Jenner and his 'Bloody wissocks' - hit you with his stick and then let you sign it at the end of the week.

Can't remember the name of the big guy who taught in P4.  tried to sit my mate on the stove for not making bread and butter pudding the way he wanted - didn't butter the bread properly???

Happy Days

DANNYJ44th

The greatest teachers
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »
I'd say Sid Swan I still laugh at some of antics and mannerisms...also I learned a hell of a lot from him. Chef Jenner and Chef Frost were excellent too.....I recall a chef trainer in Bulk Larder he was a Staff Sergeant and had a spanish name i think he was maltese or Gibraltan he used to say "Chef go to da store and bringa me da pepper" so obviously you'd bring black pepper or white pepper..when you gave it to him he used to roar "No notta dat pepper the GREASEPROOF PEPPER bloody fool" anyone remember him I can't recall his name just now.

PeteBerry

Re: The greatest teachers
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
I'd say Sid Swan I still laugh at some of antics and mannerisms...also I learned a hell of a lot from him. Chef Jenner and Chef Frost were excellent too.....I recall a chef trainer in Bulk Larder he was a Staff Sergeant and had a spanish name i think he was maltese or Gibraltan he used to say "Chef go to da store and bringa me da pepper" so obviously you'd bring black pepper or white pepper..when you gave it to him he used to roar "No notta dat pepper the GREASEPROOF PEPPER bloody fool" anyone remember him I can't recall his name just now.

Would that be Rodriguez?

PeteBerry

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »
What about "Parky" Parker? I worked with him after I left the ACC at Grimsby College as a catering lecturer, Real Gent then, retired to the West Country last I heard.

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »