to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Dictators and Disasters  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Dictators and Disasters
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »
For those of you who are not aware, Brian Hogg who set up this Site works and lives in Tripoli, Libya.  I've had an email from Brian and he left on Sunday for Morocco on a fortnights leave....lets hope it cools down in time for him to return to work on time! ::)

On another note, Rubberguts, (John Everitt) lives on the South Island of New Zealand in the Canterbury region near Christchurch, my thoughts are with him and his family at this time after the 2nd major earthquake in best part of six months.  This last one is by far the worst and biggest disaster in NZ history :(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:23:15 AM by Ian E Scott »

Army Catering Corps

Dictators and Disasters
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »

rubberguts

Re: Dicatators and Disasters
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:55:10 AM »
May I add my concern and hope to Ian's, for Brian to be able to return safely to his place of work.

pitbull10

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
Same here keep safe Brian.

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Dictators and Disasters
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »
As you can see in an earlier post John (Rubberguts), is fine......here's his reply to me , I don't think he'll mind me sharing it with you....but the bit about the cafe is great!

"Thank you for your concern, Yes, happily mum and I are fine.

Our thoughts and feelings are with those less fortunate, unlucky enough to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, paying the price with their lives. Also those who have succumbed to the seemingly never ending aftershocks and are complete wrecks.

Continual aftershocks have the effect of making one wonder if it will be another "Biggie." Oops, another shudder as I type.

On the lighter side. Mum and I were having our usual lunchtime coffee at a local Cafe when the quake hit. No longer sprightly. we sat it out and watched as people screamed and ran outside. A lone woman, obviously well versed in earthquake safety, decided to seek shelter under the table, which happened to be of  a smaller circular type  and crouched, as she thought, safely beneath it.

The result was an empty dining room with one rather large rear left poking out, rather like an Ostrich with it's head in the sand.

Great!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:23:32 AM by Ian E Scott »

rubberguts

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
As thoughts for the safety of Brian remain foremost in our minds, may I chip in my two pennorth of knowledge about the people of the area.
It is easy to form an opinion guided by what is fed to us.
My experience of Middle Eastern folk was they are generally relaxed easy going, warm and friendly people like most of us, 
I would like to see stabilization return.
It is a great experience to visit the area. I was fortunate in that Her Majesty forked out for mne.

rubberguts

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
Interesting to note the NZ Army boys are providing 1800 hot meals three a day for earthquake recovery workers
and not a Television Chef super hero in sight.

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Dictators and Disasters
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
C'mon John, You didn't really expect them to get their hands dirty doing some serious chefing did you?  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:23:54 AM by Ian E Scott »

rubberguts

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »
Ha Ha ha, Not really Ian, They're probably all too busy cooking up their next million bucks.

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »