to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: a life time  (Read 4301 times)

Offline fatcivvie

• phpBB L/Cpl.
a life time
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
It doe's not seem possible that 44 years ago tomorrow i joined  the corps catching a bus at Aldershot station and getting off at the top end of queens avenue,to walk down the road to Tournia Barracks. Then bumping into RSM Wright and asking him where reception was,just around the corner son (the first and last time Chunky Wright was nice to me).Where i met Sgt Alan and to begin a great adventure that lasted 23 years.Not allways good but by god i had some great times with some brilliant people.Iwould like to thank the ARMY CATERING CORPS and the people i met for giving me a time i will never forget and would do it all again with no regrets at all .

Army Catering Corps

a life time
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: a life time
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
That was when I did an RD tour at the Depot.  Oh Happy Days! ;D

rubberguts

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:27:02 AM »
 What an interesting read Fatcivvie, I think if we were all honest about it, we all owe a lot to our Army experience
albeit at the time I viewed my National Service akin to forced labour. Having said that. An old sweat  said to me
just before I left. "You'll be back."
 "How do you make that out?" I asked.
  "I can tell your type." He replied. "The Armies ingrained into you."
 "Not me," I said.
You Know. The old bugger was nearly right.
Soon after demob when in Charing Cross Station a joker wearing the fruity full Foreign Legion garb  backpack, rolled groundsheet. The lot, crossed in front of me.
If ever there was a time I nearly turned around and rejoined, it was at that moment.
But Hey. The Army can be ever thankful this reprobate never darkened their hallowedalls again.

Back to your memory. I had a similar experience with "Big Jim Tierney" showing his human side. One time on parade during finger nail inspection he noticed I was losing a finger nail from Blanco poisoning.
 "Ooh! What's wrong with your finger lad?" he asked.  I explained and he said. "Well be sure to get it covered with a plaster." No Big deal  but boy. Did it do wonders for my ego to be spoken to by "Big Jim."  My head swelled several sizes just from that one encounter......Yes Scottie...To save you asking... It has gone back down... Just the other day actually.

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
 ;D :o ::) Never crossed my mind John!

pitbull10

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
Hello Everyone, its been a while.

I loved my time in the ACC, I never did as long as you guys but &years was enough for me, I miss it today as much as  I missed it in 84 when I left. We are a strong brotherhood, who most of the time are the butt of every ranks jokes but we gave back as much as we recieved, I like to read post from guys like fatcivvie who did what I wanted to do. enjoy your retirement chef.

Offline fatcivvie

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:07:41 AM »
not so much of a retirment still cooking for the mod  now but we never learn to stop doing what we love

pitbull10

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:04:21 AM »
Ha Ha ooops
sorry Fatcivvie, must have read it wrong, it never leaves you does, that what was drummed into you on a daily bases, do the very best with the ration you have, pitty it not the same these days.

Rob

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:04:21 AM »