to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Un name AACC Killed in Afgahistan  (Read 3378 times)

chris1957au

Un name AACC Killed in Afgahistan
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
Just heard that a member of the Australia Army catering  corp, was shot today while on Picket duty in Afghanistan.

May he rest in Peace

Army Catering Corps

Un name AACC Killed in Afgahistan
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Un name AACC Killed in Afgahistan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »
Full Story courtesy of The Telegraph (Australia):

AN Australian soldier shot dead by an Afghan soldier has been remembered by his family as a dependable yet cheeky character who was totally dedicated to cooking.

The total number of Australians killed in Afghanistan to 26.

Lance Corporal Andrew Jones, 25, was an army cook and member of the 9th Force Support Battalion. While performing guard duty at a patrol base in the Chorah Valley, he was shot dead by a Afghan National Army solder in circumstances that have yet to be explained.

In a statement released by defence, members of his family described him as a dependable yet cheeky character "who we will miss with all our hearts".

"Andrew enjoyed his role in the army and was an excellent soldier. We are sure his mates will also miss him, his professionalism, but most of all his sense of humour," they said.

"His dedication to his role as a cook was second to none. He would always call on all his resources to provide the very best meals for his mates, including using his favourite family recipes."

Family members said Jones's mates within his unit admired him, not just for his great cooking, but for the great soldier and man he was.

"We would like to especially thank those that helped Andrew in his last hours. We know you did your best to save him and continue to face the big job ahead of you while also dealing with his death," they said.

rubberguts

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »
 I am sure all are shocked and sickened by the news of the ambush and wanton killing of Lance Corporal Andrew Jones. A total waste of a young mans life.
 It brought back the memory of my first guard duty as a new arrival in the Canal Zone at Gebel Maryam. Two ACC lads had been ambushed and killed while manning a machine gun post at the back wire. It was hot news at home. To realize we were to mount guard in the same place. Put mildly. It gave us the the skitters.
The Guard Sergeant got us up to speed on emergency procedure, armed us with the  Arabic for "Halt." Told us to make sure the safety catch was applied because we had live Ammo and we were off along the wire in pairs twenty five yards apart.
 The perimeter was dimly lit, I kept a wary look to the rear, A flash of white movement through the wire caused me to wheel around, release the safety catch, shove a round up the spout, Yell "Halt Stanner" when  doing so and was at point of fire when luckily for me my adrenalin slowed enough for me to collect my act together and notice it was a pack of Piads (wild dogs) that nightly roamed through the barbed wire  at will as though it was not there.
The camp was under canvas with some three hundred RASC and two hundred ACC jokers. An indiscriminately placed shot could have killed some of our lads.
A Narrow escape for me. If a round had been let loose it would have been up on a fizzer for reckless use, plus having to live it down from my mates who always jumped with glee at the chance to give anyone arseholes for making a mistake.
Zigzagging through the lines was a  tactic the "Wishful Oriental Gentlemen" had devised to save being shot at when escaping.... Worked every time.
 Two less fortunate burglars stealing GHQ Officers washing from the camp Dhobi's clothes lines were spotted and left the goodies behind as they made their escape and made the mistake of returning later.
 A hundred yard shot from the duty Guard Sergeant positioned on top of the wash house waiting for them got one through the centre of the forehead as they got through the wire on their return journey. The other was caught and a few weeks later I was amazed to see him working in the Dhobi area at the C in C's compound. I knew him well. He was one of the  Dhobi Wallah's assistants at Ghq Officers Quarters.

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »