to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Bob Hasnip BEM & Bar  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Bob Hasnip BEM & Bar
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »
 :( I am writing with regards to the recent death of my father, Robert 'Bob' Hasnip BEM and bar he died on Saturday the 10th of March 2012 .
He served in the Army Catering Corps for over 20 years, earned the British empire medal and bar and I am looking for an article to be placed on your website/magazine regarding him, firstly so people are aware of his death, but also so they can contact me for details if they wish to attend the funeral.
I would like as many old comrades there as possible.
My number is 01354 740152, mobile 07594 201263
Kind regards
Duane Hasnip

Duane has also sent this biopic of his dad:

24159854 Cpl Robert 'Bob' Hasnip BEM and Bar, enlisted on the 30th of October 1968 and joined The 1st Battalion theWorcester and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th foot) as an Infantry soldier,  he served in Berlin and Cyprus while with the Battalion, before transferring in 1978 to the Army Catering Corps.
His first posting was to SEME at Bordon, during which time he gained promotion to Lance Corporal. He was then posted to Wheeton camp, Blackpool to begin what was a 10 year tour with the 1st Battalion the Gloucestershire Regiment. This posting enabled him to serve another tour in Cyprus with the UN, a total of 18 months in Northern Ireland, a tour of Belize, 2 periods in Canada and attachments in Gibraltar and Denmark.
In 1981, whilst the Battalion were in Munster, he received the British Empire Medal for service to the Battalion under arduous conditions in Belize and Northern Ireland.
In 1985, he moved to 110 provost Company RMP stationed in Sennelager, he accompanied them to the Gulf, during Operation Desert Storm.
In the 1993 new years honours list, in recognition of his charitable work for an old people's home in Sennelager, he was awarded a bar to his BEM, personally raising DM8,000 with various fund raising events. At the time only some 11 other bars had been awarded and I don't believe that any had been to a member of the Army Catering Corps.
He returned to the UK in May 1993 to complete the last 6 months of his service with 1 RHF in Cambridgeshire, completing a total of 25 years and 4 days service.

Decorations:
BEM and Bar
Medals:
U.N. medal -Cyprus
Gulf medal 1990-91
Gulf clasp 16 Jan-28th Feb 91
General Service Medal (1962)
    Clasp Northern Ireland
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:06:00 PM by Ian E Scott »

Army Catering Corps

Bob Hasnip BEM & Bar