to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Intake 3/80 B company  (Read 21927 times)

mrchill

Intake 3/80 B company
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:46:43 AM »
I have many a fond memory of the 2 years spent at St Omer, From Barney Green our CSM, to Sgt Vernon our Plt Sgt and who remembers App/Rsm Foster our App RSM!
Still in Catering myself albeit a chippy in Spain!!
Have just found our intakes pass out prade programme will post on the web site, many names to bring back the good and bad memories!!

Colin Hill intake 3/80 byford plt

Army Catering Corps

Intake 3/80 B company
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:46:43 AM »

rduggan

Re: Intake 3/80 B company
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:49:03 PM »
Do you also remember, staff fox, he pti, sorry ray duggan, 2/81 byofrd platoon, could not remember our sargeants or corporals name, but i remember CPL TULLY, and the wanna  be sas  officer from our other platoon, cant think of thename now, also heard about CHIMP , paul d In 1982, in ballykelly, i remeber steve  was it the apprentice sargeant and his buddy, cant think of his buddies name, they often had me in the blacko room, they may have been 4/80.

bobpott

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:14:02 PM »
must be takin about skinner bell gordie app sgt also served with fossie at 1 adtr at bunde changed person then came from berlin something about a senior ranks daughter lol regards bp

Kev Simcox

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:09:06 AM »
Hello lads I'm Kev Simcox, late 3/80 Venning i remember some of your staff what about our old platoon Sgt (depot) Walker, all 4/80 intake cried when he got hold of them and bubbled him to their parents and then they chucked him to the the tick tocks on the depot side. I remember fozzie well met him about 3 years after training in Osnabruck, boxing between 7 RHA and some other nutters.
I got made redundant in 93 but have since rejoined albeit not as a chef, but i could not adjust so turned back to the green in 2001.
What a great site, i will point it out to lads i have found.

strummerball

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
I wouldn't say it was all of 4/80 that cried Kev, although there were some whiners that couldn't hack it. My name is Darrel Ball I got out in '94

Kev Simcox

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:51:58 AM »
Hello mate good to see some more guys on line now and a better dedicated site, i usually post on the ARRSE website under a new name but visit here when im around.

eaglesfield63

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »
Peter Clarke Here.
Now with Surrey Police.
Spoke with Steve Bell earlier in the year. he is now working in Nigeria with an Oil Company.
where there's muck there's brass.
I keep in touch with Manny Santos and Colin Hill from the 3/80 days.
I have a lot of memories from St Omer. Shame it's about to be reduced to rubble
They are building a new Junior Soldier Village on the site.
Parade ground is now history

Chilipepper

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »

Hello Chris dickson here.

Was in Venning Platoon 3/80.  Remember Pete Clarke, Kev Simcox, Colin from Bristol, Steve Bell, Jimmy Simes, Tom Kerr, Chilly McQuillan, 'Toosh' Jim Casey, Burf, Darren from Poole and many many more.  Served with ACC until 87 and then transferred to RAOC. Did Para Course and served all over the place.

Finished off as RSM where i met up with Steve Bell again in Bos.

Hello to all who i knew and knew me.  Hope life is treating you good.

Run my own business now overseas and pop back to blighty now and again to mow the grass!

What about a Venning Platoon Reunion?

Colin can play the guitar!

Regards

Chris

paul woodward

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
paul (woody) woodward here nice to hear from all you boys  seen pics hilly last time seen you chris dickson cyprus 83 you dossed in my room  met lot o the boys over the years was depot driill pig 87/89  how you doin kev? still in loughborough i left corby 2 years managing B+B in edinburgh of all places  never thought pete would become the police ha ha you must have changed over the years.would be up for reunion anytime old friends  regards  woody.

Chilipepper

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
Hello Woody,

Long time since we last chatted.  Yep, you're right (Cyprus 1983).  you were with the Argylls and i was with 1 PARA on Ex Lion Sun.  Lot of dutues, 1 days pay scemes, mess bills, postings, tours since then mate!

Moving back to civvie street was a blast!....or should that read nightmare!

Got out in 2004.....got divorced (Is that compulsary?) went travelling around the world, set up my business and worked my fleshy hairy things off!

Life is good now (Mainly cos i'm the boss and only get bollockings from me when i'm late!)

Likes:  Playing my drum kit, guinness, football, holidays, hill walking and the obvious!

Dislikes: Taxes, MPs, Taxes,  Speed restrictions, Taxes, the dentist and the tax man

What you up to now then?  Still living in the UK?  AStill following Rangers?

Have you heard from 'Tooooosh' or wee Jimmy Casey?

Regards

Chris

paul woodward

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »
wee casey was wi reservist 87 i was nco/ic them in the shot  nightmare civvies not wantin to play anymore just pick up weeks wage for attending. aye came out 93 miss like hell too.also due to divorce did beirut  when you left cyprus did cyprus again 1st gulf 89/91 turned down depot big mistake was ear marked for csm/rsm . pleased for your success. met big alex smith shooting team scotland 84 .chris reeson chilly was sgt last i seen him funny wee jeff jujius in 88 un  cyprus let me know when you come over good to see you again  o the best   woody

Chilipepper

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
Woody,

Sorry to hear about negative experiences with the reservists etc.

You are right, a lot of water under the bridge since Cyprus matey.  Life in the Army seemed to be portioned into periods of three years!  Same stuff, different grid ref.  Glad to hear you went RD.  Suits you.  Did the same myself with the RAOC then RLC.

Designed a Team Building idea for corporate fat cats who wanted to be 'Soldiers' but not join up!

Provided people with a range of courses from 1 day team building stuff through to week long courses based in the class room and out in the woods with combats, cam cream, guns and missions!  Went down a treat!  Thats basically how i made my dosh!!
'Give em what they want' business model is always a good place to start!

Anyway, will be around in the UK in April / May to water the plants and visit relatives etc.  I will pm you when i have dates.

Would be great if someone organised sorted out a 3/80 Venning / Byford reunion but then again, hey-ho, i don't know anyone that is that much organised.

I remember Fossy Foster used to think he was but i never really believed anyone who believed their own PR anyway!

I do think back now and again to those days!  2 years as an apprentice in Venning Platoon was like a mix between Lord of the flies and a borstal!
There was some cracking lads there and some absolute tossers who no doubt got their comeuppance in the real world!  I bumped into a few during my journeys and found them to be a wee bit different to how they were in Aldershot lets say!

anyway Woody, keep your chin up and your powder dry mate.  speak to you soon.

And to all of the other Venning / Byford 3/80 troops, hope you are all in good health and enjoying life.

Regards

Chris

Kev Simcox

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »
Hello Lads

Its getting to be a more popular site now, strange that only since they started pulling St Omar down.

As you said it seems divorce is par for the course and yes i remarried although a lot happier, i am a grandad now (not bad for 45) and the other girls getting married next year my lads joined the army RLC driver and is with the paras in Colchester, the other boy lives and works in Salisbury (i know 4 kids) never could keep in my trousers.

I dont live in Loughborough anymore but have been back my folks live in Spain now, im in Aylesbury at RAF Halton yeah its Tri-service and im SSgt in the AGC(MPGS) just waiting on a posting now, not to bad dont go abroad anymore as its an MLSE contract renewable every 3 years up till 55.

Not seen many lads about a guy called Brian Silverwood who was 4/80 has been in contact, scouse Rose went out with my 1st wifes sister but not seen since never heard from scouse Simes or any of the others really i served away alot, Hong Kong, Belize, Falklands and first Gulf War as well.

Just a note have you read the book Picking up the Brass its great makes you feel those old apprentice days. Hope to hear from you soon, nice to see some great guys on here.

Regards Kev

mcquillan

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
Hi Guys,

Its Paul "Chilly Mcquillan, how you all doing - found this site by mistake a few days ago, glad I did!! Been a long time eh!

Out the Army now for some 5 years, went the full distance and a good pension to show for it! Ive seen Pete Clarke a few times - he obviously didn't know it was me as he has not mentioned it in his previous mail.....face recognition not a strong part of being a copper eh Pete!!!!

Working at RMA Sandhurst running the Officers Mess/ New College, great job, and still inside the comfort blanket of the Army, Mark Stevenson is the Head Chef in Old college - remember him?

Who's up for a reunion, I'm in a great place to host it and accommodate people....look forward to hearing from you.

Chilly

mickaw

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:19:57 AM »
Hello to all you guy's from 3/80 'B' company
This is Mick (Geordie) Walker. Byford
Nice to see others from our intake on here.  I have been out since 94 and am now head chef running a public school in kent.
which is brilliant. well i like it. time off is good.  I can't believe how fast the last 27 years has gone. I still remember the first day when we were all in the gym and csm dusty miller walked along the raised corridor to greet us and screamed out who he was, do ya remember lol " my name is sarn't major miller, and you spell it G> O> D . lol i thought what have i let myself in for.

all the best Mick

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:19:57 AM »