to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Simply the best  (Read 20504 times)

Brian

Simply the best
« on: November 20, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »
SSgt. Dodds pastry, this bloke really was good. I learned more in 10 minuets with him than hours with other instructors.

Army Catering Corps

Simply the best
« on: November 20, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »

Ian E Scott

Best Catering Instructor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 05:01:01 PM »
Dodgy Ground!  There were that many...and not necessarily serving at the School!  There were lots of unsung hero's out on the ground...and cooking more than 5 portions!

Anonymous

Re: Best Catering Instructor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 05:44:02 PM »
Quote from: "Ian E Scott"
Dodgy Ground!  There were that many...and not necessarily serving at the School!  There were lots of unsung hero's out on the ground...and cooking more than 5 portions!

Yeah Bad wording by me. :oops: There were a lot of excellent instructors, and now Ive given it more thought I learned a hell of a lot while working with people in my units. Sgt. Pete Crowhurst sticks in my mind the guy was an artist working in the field. Maybe next time I will think before hitting my keyboard.   :roll:

Anonymous

Simply the best
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »
Sid Swan top bloke. 1st instuctor in 77

Scottie8722

Big Sid
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 09:21:20 PM »
Big Sid, (Father of Major Sid Swan) was one of the finest and most genuine instructors at the School.  Sadly, he died a few years ago, but like most of the "Good Guys" his name still comes up in conversation when there is a reunion.

Anonymous

Simply the best
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 12:00:39 AM »
I remember a few great instructors from my early days in the corps (joined late '68).
I remember being in the annexe before the new school opened and there was a great butchery instructor - he may have been the Swan just mentioned but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Another one I recall was Hyman? Again I'm not 100% on this but we did have a nickname of Hyman the Pieman for him :)
Two I do recall are Chef Jenner and Chef Frost. Now Jenner was a portly guy with a great character - he had a huge wooden spoon on the wall of his area.
I remember he seemed to be fond of Hell's Angels - in that the local guys did a lot for charity, while he hated skinheads (in the rage at the time).

Chef Frost was in charge of the section the cooked lunch for the other chefs. He (quite rightly) wanted the food produced to be superb and I can remember when we were being scheduled for that week for the second time thinking "oh no....."
One final one who I can't recall the name of used to be heard down the annexe regularly shouting "hurry up...hurry up...we've lots to do and little time to do it in..." in a west country accent.

DaveElson

Simply the best
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 12:05:19 AM »
Above should read joined late '68.
Dave Elson

Supachef

Simply the best
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 05:48:16 AM »
I agree with the comments about Sid Swan senior, butchery week was the highlight in our training schedule. I'm still getting mileage on his jokes 40 years later. RIP Sid, you're still remembered with affection.

Scottie8722

"Big Ray" Jenner
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 01:07:31 AM »
Ah God Bless Him, once made me eat a pot of charcoaled baton carrots I'd left on the stove during a Naafi Break in the old garages...the taste lingers on when I think of the incident all these years later.  Worse thing was...he made me wash the pan!  They were the days before diamond headed drills, the task was impossible...he made me buy a new pan out of my meagre wages.  He was a great guy though and you knew where you stood.  Again, sadly he died too young, he was a Major serving in Shrewsbury when he got the call. RIP Ray, you were one of the best.

(Ian E Scott)

Anonymous

Simply the best
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 01:43:30 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Sid Swan top bloke. 1st instuctor in 77

Yep Top bloke great fun in his classes but you also learned a hell of a lot

Anonymous

Re: "Big Ray" Jenner
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 01:45:57 AM »
Quote from: "Scottie8722"
Ah God Bless Him, once made me eat a pot of charcoaled baton carrots I'd left on the stove during a Naafi Break in the old garages...the taste lingers on when I think of the incident all these years later.  Worse thing was...he made me wash the pan!  They were the days before diamond headed drills, the task was impossible...he made me buy a new pan out of my meagre wages.  He was a great guy though and you knew where you stood.  Again, sadly he died too young, he was a Major serving in Shrewsbury when he got the call. RIP Ray, you were one of the best.

(Ian E Scott)

Hell whats this Scottie you screwed up Wish Id known that in cove  :D

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Very Rare!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 01:18:02 AM »
Yes Brian,
I cocked up...hard to believe I know.  
Even a technical genius can get it wrong!

Anonymous

Re: Very Rare!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 10:57:52 PM »
Quote from: "Ian E Scott"
Yes Brian,
I cocked up...hard to believe I know.  
Even a technical genius can get it wrong!

Hmm..... you are right I know the feeling happend to me as well   :lol:
What was the other one I used to hear all the time... Very good chef now garnish it with tea leaves and bin it.

Anonymous

Simply the best
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 11:26:14 PM »
talking about good instructors,i see one of them has joined the site, ike curran,i joined the corps in 1977,21 squad,we had ike for most of the catering training,left the corps in 2003,now live in norway.

Alan Myers

Best Catering Instructor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 06:10:33 AM »
To me Tom Selby was the best butchery instructor the school ever had.

Now no longer with us.

God Bless you Tom.

Alan Myers

Army Catering Corps

Best Catering Instructor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 06:10:33 AM »