to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Bonfire night RAF Seletar 1960  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Bobnicol

• phpBB L/Cpl.
Bonfire night RAF Seletar 1960
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:10:47 PM »
I Was a scally brat ( Child of a serviceman ) we was living in singapore from 1958 - 1962.
 I was searching the internet for articles when i came across this that really stirred the memory, thought it might make you laugh.

"Guy Fawkes Night at RAF Seletar (1960)

After a hard days work on the squadron, a meal, a shower and a pint (or three) of duty free it seemed quite sensible for us "hard working single airmen" to repair to the "Bonfire" which was situated on some waste ground at the far end of RAF Seletar.  This we duly did and stared incredulously at a mighty mound of typical RAF junk piled high into the balmy Singaporean sky, it consisted of the normal broken packing cases, furniture etc., But what caught our eyes was the sheer quantity of large (very large) thick cardboard tubes, these had previously been used to transport aircraft safety equipment, and were so vast in number that the bonfire resembled an enormous Egyptian Pyramid.   After a few "fireworks" (well they weren't proper fireworks, just aircraft distress flares and rockets,), the O.I/C announced on a loudspeaker    "And now Ladies & Gentlemen, boys and girls, Flight Sergeant ******* from the fire section will LIGHT THE BONFIRE!!   An expectant hush fell over the crowd as gallons and gallons of "Scrap" aviation fuel, thinners and Lord knows what in the way of inflammable liquid was poured onto this mighty pyre...Then.... into view marched THE FLIGHT SERGEANT, a short corpulent figure of a man, clad in natty blue dungarees, a world war two white painted tin hat with a flap of material on the back "a la Beu Geste", swinging his arms shoulder high, proud as punch   his gum booted feet tripping slightly on the tufted grass, he came to a crashing halt about twenty yards from the bonfire. Then withdrawing a Very Pistol from his belt, he elegantly broke it and popped in a cartridge............We waited..........he fired...........the flare described an arc and hit the bonfire dead centre......................Well remember those cardboard tubes ????????    Some one had forgotten to knock out the ends; soaked in fuel they had become bombs !!!!!           BOOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!!  The bonfire lifted twenty feet off the ground and deposited itself in about eight different positions, all still burning like a good un...That was it, everybody left leaving the Flight Sergeant standing there with his mouth open.....  Well nobody was hurt thank Heavens but the scaleys brats (married personnel’s children) didn’t half howl !!!!       We (the single blokes) couldn't help chuckling as we left to get to the Malcolm Club for another pint or two and a toast tomato banjo..   I wonder what the Officer i/c RAF Seletar fire section said to his blokes?   Come to that, what did the Camp Commandant say to the Officer i/c?   ,,,,,,,who cares !    Happy Days !!

Army Catering Corps

Bonfire night RAF Seletar 1960
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:10:47 PM »