to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Brian Williams (Capt) 1950 - 1978  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Richard W

• phpBB Pte.
Brian Williams (Capt) 1950 - 1978
« on: January 27, 2024, 08:06:51 PM »
All,

I've probably left this far too late to get a result as I'm trying to get some further information on my Dad's army service - he was a secretive old bugger and never talked much about his Army career.

He passed away 10 years ago and I have since obtained his official army service records but they don't tell me much about him. I was hoping some of his ex-colleagues might be on here and might give me some information about his service. What I do know is that he joined up in Feb 1950 at A Battalion training ACC. 1951-53 Boys Service Corps ACC.  54-57 in Cyprus with Field Ambulance and the Hussars. 57 - 61 back in the UK. 61-62 BAOR. 63 - Guyana. 67 - Aden. 69 Bahrain. 70 -Rheindahlen Garrison. 74 - 78 Back at Aldershot until he took early retirement.

I remember he had regimental plaques in his living room of the Parachute Regiment, SAS, 5th Royal Inniskillin Dragoon Guards, Greenjackets amongst others so I assume that these were regiments he was attached to in his capacity as an ACC chef? Weirdly, sometime in the 70's he was awarded a military MBE (which I proudly keep with the rest of his medals) but could find no record of it being Gazetted in the London Gazette records, which I thought as odd? He also mentioned to me that he had served in N.Ireland during the Troubles but this does not appear on his records and I wondered if these two could be connected??

He seemed to have been promoted quite quickly through the ranks during his service and I think he once mentioned that he was the youngest Sergeant in the Army when he got that promotion - and there is a photo of him being presented to John Profumo who was the Defence Minister until his ill judged dalliance with Ms Keeler!

Anyway, if anyone can remember him or can put some meat on the bones, I would be very grateful.... Richard Williams

Army Catering Corps

Brian Williams (Capt) 1950 - 1978
« on: January 27, 2024, 08:06:51 PM »