to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Clayton Barracks Stories  (Read 4045 times)

3Squad76

Clayton Barracks Stories
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »
One year, in the Summer of 1990, we saw a bunch of "course personnel" having an impromptu barbecue on Clayton lines. We couldn't believe it. There was beer flowing and meat going on the coals.

The party was quietly broken up and I reckon the Depot Staff, who broke it up. couldn't quite believe it themselves, and had a good laugh.. Hence, the reason for no charges? Heh heh.

I remember working in Clayton Barracks over the years from 1976 to 1990 on various courses, training, etc..

Our "basic" was done there, weapons and such like.

Later we did our junior managers courses there, and CAM, Production Supervisors courses too.

Anybody got any funny stories to tell about Clayton?

Army Catering Corps

Clayton Barracks Stories
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »

DaveElson

Clayton Barracks Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:40:31 PM »
I was part of the intake that was the last to use Clayton before our move to the new St. Omer (I joined Sept '68 as a boy soldier).
Being a shy and quiet (at first anyway) 15 year old paid off 'cause after the first couple of weeks the platoon staff forgot about me and left me off the swabbing job list.
I'd check it weekly and my name was nowhere to be found. Lasted at least  6 weeks.
I recall the platoon LCpl (Woodward) coming into the room one morning and as usual, I hadn't had time to sweep my bedspace. He put me on platoon commanders orders but I just didn't turn up - nothing was said.

On my very first day, after arrival we were told to go up to the office and pick up our bedding. I stood in line and when it was my turn the Sgt (Miller) asked me what number my locker was.
I didn't quite understand what he said, so I said in my Nottingham way "you what?"
He laced into me shouting "Don't you f***ing you what me boy"
A couple of hours later we were ordered to write home to our parents (this was after being given our webbing, a quick 5 minute class on blanco-ing
and orders to scrub and blanco the stuff - on our first day) so I wrote home to mum and dad telling 'em I didn't like it in the army.

:)

Army Catering Corps

Clayton Barracks Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:40:31 PM »