to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Retirement...I don't think so!  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Retirement...I don't think so!
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »
Having left the Corps almost 20 years ago and having to start working for a living...my how time flies when you're enjoying yourself!  I took a job as Catering Manager at Lancaster University where I remained for 10 years, before voluntary redundancy at 50, (and another instant pension)!

Having been in the Corps since the age of 15, spending 10 years in a University was not all that it was cracked up to be, working to impractical and "Alice in Wonderland" budgets was no picnic in a very competetive market.  If the little darlings had a £1 to spend on food or beer...the beer won!  Didn't it with you?

So who'd want me at 50 I thought?  

Surprisingly, quite a few people and after taking a 3 month sabatical visiting my favourite posting of Singapore and Malaya  I decided to start with HM Prison Service as a civilian Catering Manager in March 1998.

Civilianisation in Prison Catering has raised standards far beyond what was expected when it was first introduced, initially as a cost cutting measure by the late Lt Col (Retd) Brian David.  It's a measure of the success that many Catering Managers are now on the comparable salary of their uniformed counterparts.  Something the process was definately not meant to introduce!

The Prison Service is a good place to work, there are lots of ex Corps members working in and continuing to improve standards on a daily basis and the improvements over the past 9 years have been staggering.

After 9 years and two promotions later I find myself as Head of Facilities at a large Establishment just outside Warrington in Cheshire enjoying a job.  Something that I've not done since I left the Service.  

At fast approaching 60 I don't think of retirement...although a third pension would be welcome.

Army Catering Corps

Retirement...I don't think so!
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »

Anonymous

Not So Lucky
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 07:06:17 PM »
Well, I must be really unlucky. I did over 15 years with the Corps and spent time in Ulster. Saw and heard a lot there which did my head in. Made the mistake of marrying a German, and subsequently lost the kids to them.

The RBL have basically turned their back on me, since I've had had a lot of emotional and psychiatric problems. Although they have helped me once, they refuse me help now, and accuse me of drinking,  or worse. That's how good they are. They'd sooner help "ex-wives of" who've been divorced two years, rather then folks who have served.

I've lost the best part of fifteen years out of my life, through adjustment and psychological problems. I'v e been homeless again recently, and have been thru' the Hostelss and on the way to another stab at normality.

But I don't begrudge anyone who's had success , and enjoys maybe two pensions . But we don't all do as well as that, and some of us actually struggle to get through our life.

Regards

Paul

mikeglover

Rbl
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:15:59 AM »
Paul I am ex corp and I am chairman of my local legion Branch I dont think the legion let you down its a great organisation which does its utmost to support all ex service men sometimes we have to pick up the pieces and I wish you all the best. ps I know scottie and he has far to many pensions

paul haste

Re:reunion
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 02:20:56 AM »
ian can you tell me how i can book up for 2008 bash at hayling island please
regards paul

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Retirement...I don't think so!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:31:39 PM »
Paul,

If you are a member of the ACC Association you need to make sure that you are on the mailing list...if you recieve the bi-annual Information Link then you are.
If not I suggest you contact the Association at:

accassociation@rhqtherlc.org.uk

The applications are usually requested in Jan/Feb.

Don't I know you from 3 TRRE Cove?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 02:34:15 PM by Ian E Scott »

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 07:41:04 PM »
Paul,

If you are a member of the ACC Association you need to make sure that you are on the mailing list...if you recieve the bi-annual Information Link then you are.
If not I suggest you contact the Association at:

accassociation@rhqtherlc.org.uk

The applications are usually requested in Jan/Feb.

Don't I know you from 3 TRRE Cove?

Ah the memory hasn't gone yet then Scottie, he was at Cove the same time as us. Many moons ago.  :o    ::)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 02:03:02 AM »
  :o Now, now Brian!  You should respect us old folk!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 02:05:22 AM by Ian E Scott »

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 02:03:02 AM »