to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Aldershot in the 70's  (Read 15405 times)

rockymodo

Aldershot in the 70's
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:50:53 AM »
Does anyone remember the 'Havalock' pub? It was decked out like a cowboy saloon and had a small disco in one corner, also the Army & Navy pub. It had a disco in the basement (Rainbow Disco) The Havalock has long gone. The last time I was in Aldershot in the 80's it had been demolished and a shopping centre had been built over it. I remember that as  boy soldiers we were banned from going to Buller Bks disco, but we always seemed to be there every wednesday night. We sometimes went to the 'Rat Pit' for a beer but there was another pub just down the road that was always packed but I can't remember the name. What was the name of the pub that the Para's used to drink in? you went down a spiral staircase to the basement. I recall that as boy soldiers we avoided that pub like the plague.

Army Catering Corps

Aldershot in the 70's
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:50:53 AM »

Gerry Clark

Pub
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »
Hi Rocky,

The Para pub was called the Globetrotter.

I was in the 40th intake 1970, and remember the pubs you mentioned.

Also used to go to the disco at Buller Barracks.

Regards,

Gerry Clark

rockymodo

Aldershot in the 70's
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:24:09 AM »
The Globetrotter, of course... One of my mates was friendly with a couple of black guys who lived down Cambridge Rd or Avenue? We used to go down there some Saturday nights and stand in someones living room whilst reggea music pumped out of a speaker that could've serviced a stadium. They used to charge us 35p (which was a lot of cash when you only got 50p a week in the hand) for a ladle of goat curry. I used to Sh*t my whack every time we went. I was about 5ft nothing and 9 stone and these guys were all over 6ft and high on wacky backy. If you were in the 40th Intake then you might just have been there when I joined in May 71.
There was a Junior RSM whose father was the Senior RSM on the boy's side. (Can't remember either of their names)

Chris Foster

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
Re: Aldershot in the 70's
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:36:29 AM »
Quote from: "rockymodo"
The Globetrotter, of course... One of my mates was friendly with a couple of black guys who lived down Cambridge Rd or Avenue? We used to go down there some Saturday nights and stand in someones living room whilst reggea music pumped out of a speaker that could've serviced a stadium. They used to charge us 35p (which was a lot of cash when you only got 50p a week in the hand) for a ladle of goat curry. I used to Sh*t my whack every time we went. I was about 5ft nothing and 9 stone and these guys were all over 6ft and high on wacky backy. If you were in the 40th Intake then you might just have been there when I joined in May 71.
There was a Junior RSM whose father was the Senior RSM on the boy's side. (Can't remember either of their names)

Chris Foster

There is a Photo in the gallery of the 2 RSMs you are talking about, I was in Boy service at that time 1971 B company Dunkirk Pl.

Offline magpie24

• Administrator
  • phpBB Cpl.
  • Welcome to the Army catering corps website.
    • http://www.armycateringcorps.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:19 AM »
Quote from: "rockymodo"
Does anyone remember the 'Havalock' pub? It was decked out like a cowboy saloon and had a small disco in one corner, also the Army & Navy pub. It had a disco in the basement (Rainbow Disco) The Havalock has long gone. The last time I was in Aldershot in the 80's it had been demolished and a shopping centre had been built over it. I remember that as  boy soldiers we were banned from going to Buller Bks disco, but we always seemed to be there every wednesday night. We sometimes went to the 'Rat Pit' for a beer but there was another pub just down the road that was always packed but I can't remember the name. What was the name of the pub that the Para's used to drink in? you went down a spiral staircase to the basement. I recall that as boy soldiers we avoided that pub like the plague.

I think you mean the Globetrotters and the Crimea.

I met my wife in the Havalock. a long time ago.

Gerry Clark

Aldershot in the 70's
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »
The RSM was Jim Thompson

Grrry

dave0949

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 10:55:58 PM »
Don't we all remember the disco down at Buller barracks, every Wednesday and Friday night them were the days, the Crimea, Army and Navy, and the Havelock arms they all bring back a lots of memories , they were about the only place us under age boy soldiers could ever get a drink, as for the globetrotter.  Only the bravest of the brave ever ventured down a staircase " I wasn't one of them" anyone out there from the old RSTU squad.  A company, 1971-ish, hope you're all doing well, when I look back at those good old days.  I sometimes wish I was still there now, if we are honest those were the best days of our lives.
David Goodwin RSTU ::)

len cherrett

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »
The Globetrotter, of course... One of my mates was friendly with a couple of black guys who lived down
Quote from: rockymodo

Chris Foster
the answer to your question was rsm thompson and his son j/rsm john thompson i was 35th in take and the whole of a company new he would get it .it was fixed from the start as two of his intake were senior to him best wishes len cherrett
.best wishes
There is a Photo in the gallery of the 2 RSMs you are talking about, I was in Boy service at that time 1971 B company Dunkirk Pl.

[/tt]Cambridge Rd or Avenue? We used to go down there some Saturday nights and stand in someones living room whilst reggea music pumped out of a speaker that could've serviced a stadium. They used to charge us 35p (which was a lot of cash when you only got 50p a week in the hand) for a ladle of goat curry. I used to Sh*t my whack every time we went. I was about 5ft nothing and 9 stone and these guys were all over 6ft and high on wacky backy. If you were in the 40th Intake then you might just have been there when I joined in May 71.
There was a Junior RSM whose father was the Senior RSM on the boy's side. (Can't remember either of their names) t

Chris Foster

Offline mick jones

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »
Oh happy days, Are you all aware that most of the bar staff in The Globe Trotter were ACC,we all belonged to 1 Para Log Rgt,a very calming influence on some of the underage maggots & Brats that tried to pluck up courage to use the twity stairs.
   I was in the shot from 64--73 first 22nd intake JTR Then 16 para bde. ::) ::)

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »