to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: ACC in Italy Jan 1945  (Read 4024 times)

SueL

ACC in Italy Jan 1945
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »
Good Afternoon readers,
Can anyone help / advise me please?

I am helping my friend to trace her Granddad's army details but we have come to a "brickwall"...

George William Day, a Private in the ACC, was killed in Italy in the latter part of January 1945 (his War death cert states Asphyxia).

I have noticed however, that there was an unusually high number of ACC deaths listed in the Times newspaper from about the 20th of Jan onwards that year. Could anyone suggest how we go about finding out what happened to the ACC in Italy during that time?

My friend has sent for her Granddad's service record but of course, it could be months before it arrives  :cry:

We also hope to visit TNA but the war diaries in their catalogue do not seem to specify any for the ACC...

Many thanks for any suggestions,
SueL

Army Catering Corps

ACC in Italy Jan 1945
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »

kevinh

Re: ACC in Italy Jan 1945
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:04:27 AM »
Hi Sue

I've just discovered this website, but I might be able to give you a few tips.  My late father served in the ACC in Italy too.  I don't know whether you managed to obtain the service record concerned but it appears that the first wave of the ACC received their training and then returned to cook for the unit from where came.  My father served with the 75th Medium Regt R.A. and it is the War Diary of this (or whichever unit) that you have to look at if going to the National Archives at Kew.

Hope this helps,

Kevin H.

SueL

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for your answer - much appreciated.

As yet, my friend's Granddad's service record hasn't arrived but what you've told us really will help - thank you! As soon as we know what unit he started in, then we can start to track down the diaries at Kew...

Cheers, Kevin,
sueL

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »