to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: St Omer To Close In 2009 - Open Day 22 November 2008  (Read 7765 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
St Omer To Close In 2009 - Open Day 22 November 2008
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
 :( :'( :'(  Sad News for all ex ACC who have passed through St Omer.

St Omer Barracks is in the process of being demolished to make way for new soldiers accommodation and headquarters. Army catering training is moving to Worthy Down in early 2009.

The open day will allow ex-ACC to revisit the site where there will be displays, visits, food, plenty of reminiscing and a final parade to mark the end of an era where Aldershot was the centre of Army Catering since the late 19th century. This is a ticket only event and numbers are limited. Please respond quickly.

mailto:accassociation@rhqtherlc.org.uk?subject=Farewell%20to%20St%20Omer

Sadly I will be in New Zealand on the 22nd or would have made the pilgrimage

Scottie

Army Catering Corps

St Omer To Close In 2009 - Open Day 22 November 2008
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »

pitbull10

Re: St Omer To Close In 2009 - Open Day 22 November 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Sorry want be able to attend, We will be in Cuba (if its still there lol) its our 25th wedding anniversary.
I will be sad to miss it, hope those who do get to go, say goodbye to the old place.

have a great day.

Rob ;D

james ongley

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »
This would be the ideal time to invite the original demolition squad of 1965 to step forward. I am sure there will be one or two of them in the VIP area. 

dave.r

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 04:57:12 AM »
Lucky I am in a position to attend ,I only live down the road in Bordon. It's a pity the event was not better advertised, I only found out about it by accident while I was browsing around. If all the ex members of ''THE CORPS''were able to go we could have a weekend in Aldershot that would make Airborne forces day look quiet.

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:24 AM »
 ??? That's why we have an ACC Association!  That way you are on the mailing list for your updates...then there's the Official ACC Website at

http://accassociation.org/index.htm

Keep smiling  :D

pitbull10

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:24:19 AM »
Lucky I am in a position to attend ,I only live down the road in Bordon. It's a pity the event was not better advertised, I only found out about it by accident while I was browsing around. If all the ex members of ''THE CORPS''were able to go we could have a weekend in Aldershot that would make Airborne forces day look quiet.

I Agree Dave, If someone has contacts in the media world perhaps a article could be put out across the whole country or something could be done to let those who are not aware of any of the forums or Associations,
Just like I totally unaware  until a year or so ago. plus anything that would be one in the face for airborne cant be a bad idea.  :D :D :D

Rob :)

pitbull10

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
Hi Guy's.

Did anyone go to the closing of St omer, how did it go? was there many there? is there any photo's?

many thanks

Rob :)

dave.r

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
Hi, I attended the farewell, the event was very well attended. Just about everybody at some time was walking up to someonewith an outstretched finger going uuurrr? You knew the face but just couldn't remember the name, one of the few times I would have agreed with name tags. I managed to meet one guy I had not seen since 1967, one from my old squads (CD&E) 1966 JTR and my old drinking partner from my first unit. We had gone rank for rank together and been in trouble together but I have to draw the line at his new career. He mumbled that he was a tax?@?#. . Took me a while but he finally admitted he was a Taxman .No wonder he mumbled, the rebel I once knew is no more.
 The day started with a meet and greet in a new part of the barracks and then a chance to roam around and visit various exhibits. One section was filled with old photos and memorobilia found a couple of me in my younger days. Lunch was in about 4 different locations due to numbers attending.I had forgotten why I liked to drink in the  Mess, civilised company, good food AND beer at £1 a pint.
The day finished with a March past the Mayor of Aldershot. A measure of the attendance was that 3 companies of past members marched past.
The saddest part of the event is the realisation that I have now outlived a building, I saw St Omer go up and now because I live in the area I will see her come down :'( :'( :'( The sky line around Aldershot will never be the same. The feelings of dismay as all those years ago as I returned from leave or attended a course and you first caught sight of the tower block,NOW i SHALL MISS THE OLD GIRL.
R.I.P St Omer Barracks an era has ended.
 Dave Rushton Ex Apprentice Ex Instructor.

pitbull10

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »
Thank you Dave. I would have loved to have been there, but sadly prior arrangements had to be kept.
I have such fond memories of St Omer. although I was only there a short time compared to most, as I transfered in from an infantry regiment the D&D's,so I had done my basic, I just needed to learn how to be a chef. My memories are fuzzy at best, I remember bits about the training and square bashing and the HILL on exercise. I remember a few of the lads I was with. the Army and Navy club. the lovely church just down the road from the barracks, when thing got hard spent a few down times in there just for quite time.
I for one am sad that the ACC has gone and now the icon that is St omer is to be gone to.

As Dave Said, R.I.P St Omer.

Rob :'(

p.s I never realised how important names and face, dates & times aswell as keeping a record of them is, until now. I regret not doing it more.

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »