to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: ACC Memorial Hall Under Threat  (Read 48073 times)

Jerry Hunter

Re: ACC Memorial Hall Under Threat
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »
Pitbull and Still Pete,
I am sorry to hear of your troubles etc, I left in 1986 and not for the first time I find myself finacially emmbarrased and out of work  I thought about contacting the association  or the veterans agency this time as it is quite bad, but after reading your posts  I have shelved that idea. It seems since the day I left the ACC i have fought every step of the way to get on in civvie street with no help  even when I was leaving and was having trouble with the local council  the familys office would not help me they just wanted to know how quick I could leave my quarters. I have always tried to sort my own mess out but I always had in the back of my head jerry if it gets bad then  the corps will help guess I was wrong.

I wish you all the best guys 
we were and still are The proud ACC They will never ever take that away from us
Jerry

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2009, 11:36:15 PM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »
I've sent a private reply to Jerry regarding ACC Association help

StillPete

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »
Hi Jerry
Please don't give up on the Association or Army Benevolent fund, my experiences was with the RLC as a serving soldier and my point was that sometimes we (caterers) as a body are not always as willing as others parts of the Army to help and support each other.

I think a point made clear in the stunning lack of support to save the hall (I am not that passionate with it, but signed the petition and sent out many emails to friends and family because I could see others were and felt that I should support the ACC)

For those who worked hard to keep the hall by writing and lobbing their MP's , I'm truly sorry that it wasn't given the support it should have had.

Jerry
Hopefully the association can help you,

Quill

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »
With it being the 25th anniversary of our joining the Corps, and being unable to go in November last year for the farewell visit that was organised, my mate Taff Jenkins and I went to visit St Omer last week.  We knew that it was due for demolition but neither of us realised how swift it would be.  All that is left is the tower block.  Where the square was has new buildings on it.  All the accommodation blocks, NAAFI and everything else are gone, and even the bridge at the back of the camp that led to the canal has been demolished.  I must admit to feeling quite sad when I saw the state of a place I have great memories of.  I had some of the happiest times of my life and made some good mates at St Omer. 

Since April 1993 we have lost our Corps, our depot and soon our memorial hall. I am deeply saddened by all of this. It will be as if the Corps and the thousands of chefs that came through the gates at St Omer were never there. In my view any memorial to the ACC should be in Aldershot on the site of St Omer - not in Worthy Down, Grantham or anywhere else.

davcaz92

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2009, 05:51:20 AM »
Look lads life as to go on,our boys are being killed in afganistan for what reason? the memorial hall is of little significance in comparison,life is to short,and life goes on,we are just pawns on a chess board and our views mean nothing to brown.com
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:54:22 AM by davcaz92 »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
Dave's entitled to his views that's democracy in action.
I've certainly got mine...Dave summed it up when he mentioned Afghanistan. 
Lest We Forget so easily? 
I think the majority view on this Site is a resounding No! 
That's why the Memorial Hall is important. 
The operative word here being MEMORIAL!

pitbull10

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
That is the whole point Dave, the memorial hall is there to remind those who have the power, in the past and the future that our lads are being killed in conflicts that they have sent them to.
You cant wipe out history, That is what they are trying to do, The ACC has gone, our training college has Gone, the only thing left is the Memorial Hall. If the MOD get their way all Forces catering will be run by civilian contractors, So watch out the RLC your next. once the memorial Hall has gone there is nothing to remind anyone that we the ACC ever existed. its Wrong and no amount of life goes on or moving on with the times, will ever change my mind. It is our job as survivor's to make sure they the DEAD are never forgotten for giving the ultimate sacrifice.
As I have said before lets see the MOD & Brown Try and wipe out the Para Regiments memorials or the marines,SAS Memorials, believe me they would not lie down and just take it. We have history and it should be remembered.

Rob :)

Our Memorial hall That we paid for should be kept where it is,  a permanent reminder to the ACC fallen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:24:38 PM by pitbull10 »

davcaz92

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2009, 08:36:25 PM »
Well i suppose you are right in what you are saying,and it is true that you cant wipe out history.
I totally agree that the RLC will be next,and my daughter has just joined them.Its funny how the basic catering training has changed though,everything tought is so very basic,not like in our days which was then quite in depth teaching,its frozen pasties and sausage rolls now sigh!

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2009, 10:30:39 PM »
The following is taken from the ACC Association Website:

Members will be aware that as part of the redevelopment plans for St Omer Barracks, the ACC War Memorial Hall has been earmarked for reassignment as a Gurkha Temple and Families Centre to accommodate the needs of the Queens Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment when it moves from its present barracks in North Camp, in 2011.

Anyone who has been to the Hall lately will realise that the Library Service has closed the doors of the Hall in order to pack up prior to moving out early next year. The Chairman of the ACC Association, Col Philippe Rossiter and Lt Col Nigel Shepherd RLC, Chief Instructor of the Defence Food Services School have been busy negotiating with the Garrison and Gurkha Chaplain General regarding the preservation of our memorial plaques and distribution of artefacts from the Hall.

Details have yet to be confirmed, but the main agreement is as follows:

· The cement plaque commemorating our war dead inside the shrine will be left on display.

· The brass plaques dedicating and rededicating the Hall will remain on view outside the shrine.

· The bronze commemoration plaque will remain on display on the outside of the building.

· The brick “Angel” on the outside of the tower will be preserved but covered, to enable uncovering
  if in future the building is once again re-allocated to a different purpose.

· A small “historic” ACC display will be shown on the left side of the entrance hall.

· Items from the Memorial Garden will be relocated to DFSS in Worthy Down and also used to create
an area outside the main gate to St Omer Barracks depicting the history of Catering training at the site.

· The unit boards and portraits etc will be removed from the interior of the Hall.

· Some religious items it is hoped, will be relocated into the Garrison Church of All Saints or the small
 church at Worthy Down.

Funding will be found from the Project to enable this work to be done. The ACC Association Executive Council is satisfied that everything possible has been done to preserve the dignity of our war dead and to acknowledge the contribution made to Army Catering training in St Omer Barracks. There is much work to be done on the detail and members will be kept informed as things progress.

Anyone interested in expressing a view is requested to write to:

ACC Association (Memorial Hall)
Dettingen House
Princess Royal Barracks
Deepcut

Surrey
GU16 6RW

or  E-Mail: controller@accassociation.org

TAFFY7189

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2009, 05:48:16 AM »
It is a shame that all us ex ACC are going to loose the last thing that is left of St Omer. It was a wonderfull place and when you walked through the doors you felt proud to be part of a wonderfull team. I was proud when I took my parents on a guided tour in 1974. It should not happen. The goverment should not let it happen. 

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
Bids will close on the 12th April 2010
As you know the ACC  War Memorial Hall is being handed over to the Garrison who are redeveloping it as a Hindu Temple for the Gurkhas in Aldershot.
As a result we have to remove all of the items hanging therein except for a small display which describes the history and purpose of the Hall.

All references to the ACC fallen will remain in place and on display to visitors once the Hall is complete. A quiet place of remembrance will be created outside the front of the Hall.

If you wish to bid for any of the items displayed at my Picassa Web Album please respond by e-mail identifying your bid and the price bid. All proceeds will go to “Help for Heroes”.

Bidding closes at 1200 hrs on Mon 12 Apr 10.

Where there are conflicting bids the Controller ACC Association will contact each bidder to settle it between them, with the winner contacting the Controller with the final bid price. He will then verify this with the other bidder(s).

Winning bidders will be informed and arrangements made for collection.

Any items unsold will be disposed of by other means.

Link to Picasa Web Album:     http://picasaweb.google.com/ACCAssociationPhotoAlbums?feat=email

If the direct link fails please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »