to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Tinned compo sausages circa '60s, '70s and perhaps later  (Read 7119 times)

Balleh

Tinned compo sausages circa '60s, '70s and perhaps later
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:55:35 AM »
My apologies if this has been done before and for the paucity of information but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful

There was a particular type of tinned compo sausage which I loved (back in the ‘60s and ‘70s, and I understand they were still being issued in the ‘80s and perhaps ‘90s) and I would very much like to get them commercially if possible.

The cans were the standard size – not the small ones – and the sausages were so closely packed the sides in contact with other sausages were almost flat. Also, the cans contained only sausages – nothing else.

Also, I recall they were very white before cooking and the contents were finely minced.

I have been put in contact with Westlers who produce Sausages in Lard but they are not the ones I remember with such affection – they are more salty, don’t have the same consistency and are not as thick.

It just occurs to me that there were rumours that some sausages were made from soya bean. If the rumours were correct, might these be the ones I am thinking of?

I understand they were part of the 10 man pack, but I cannot vouch for that.

Does anyone know who made them?

Army Catering Corps

Tinned compo sausages circa '60s, '70s and perhaps later
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:55:35 AM »

rubberguts

Re: Tinned compo sausages circa '60s, '70s and perhaps later
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
That description sounds like the  sausages I remember from "K" rations. Great taste. I think the firm who put them out were Keihler or something beginning with K. Seem to remember the firm had two joint names. Sorry, the memory pales these days. I do remember however they were a well known jam label in the Pommie shops in the fifties. God, those sausages smelled good in the open air first thing in the morning.(Much better than Napalm).

Army Catering Corps

Re: Tinned compo sausages circa '60s, '70s and perhaps later
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »