to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Paddy O'Shea  (Read 4580 times)

dave.r

Paddy O'Shea
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:05:34 AM »
I have just read(27 May 2010) an article in the Daily Mail about The Old Red Lion and in it there is a mention that this pub closed in 2008 due to the ill health of the Landlord , the late  Tom O'Shea. An extract from the article reads.
''Tom O'Shea, who kept the Old Red Lion for 20 years, was himself late of the Irish Guards and the Catering Corps, and his pub was as close to the perfect pub as I have ever known''
Anybody who knew the man will know the reason behind the statement.
 I will remember with great fondness our first meeting in 1966 ,me a 15 year old new arrival on my first day as an Apprentice, Paddy acting Platoon SGT of Gale Platoon,C COY ,JTR ACC.
 As Paddy gripped the 15 year old bum fluff hanging from my chin between his fingernails, he ''QUIETLY'' informed me '' Can you feel that Laddie , well you b****y well should do ,I'm standing on it. Get a shave'' I will admit that had there been a strong wind that morning this incident may never occurred. By the time we parted company at the end of our basic training , Paddy was regarded as our substitute father and had he asked we would have descended into hell itself at his request. R.I.P. Paddy
Dave

Army Catering Corps

Paddy O'Shea
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:05:34 AM »

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Re: Paddy O'Shea
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »
Paddy & I were neighbours in Salamanca Park when we did our RD tours.  I wish that pub had been on my doorstep! He really was a bloody great guy. Tom Killilea phoned me last night to tell me about the article and I was saddened to hear that he has gone.  RIP Tom old friend.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:02:49 AM by Ian E Scott »

Offline fatcivvie

• phpBB L/Cpl.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »
What a gentleman paddy was he was our drill Sgt in 1967 at tournia barracks. met him a few times at st omer and he always knew our names quite a feat after all the guys he had trained god bless you paddy i bet there is a few frighted souls in heaven when you turned up.

Pompey

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:11:01 AM »
Dave
It was your posting that I read earlier today which prompted me to register on the site.

Paddy was indeed a good guy and I remember him well, he is sat at the front of our last plt photo proudly holding a shield that we had won ( Can't remember what it was for )

I have some fond memories of my time in the JTR.

Tom

dave.r

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:23:12 AM »
Allways remember one of his catch phrases, would definitely not be allowed now by the P.C. Brigade and for that reason I have had to censor it, but the guys from that era will understand it, and to anyone who is offended I appologise now , but it is meant as a tribute to a much loved member of the Corps.
When he refered to the amount of bull required on your boots he requested that they should shine like
''A shiny sixpence on a n***ers ar****e''.
Dave

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:23:12 AM »