to go back to the main site click www.armycateringcorps.co.uk

Author Topic: Sgt Ken Fishburn  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
Sgt Ken Fishburn
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »
 :( Ken was murdered by Derrick Bird in Egremont, during his massacre of innocent people around Cumbria on Wednesday, 2nd June 2010.  Ken served with the Corps for 25 years and amongst his attached Units was the 1st Battalion The Light Infantry.
Details of the funeral arrangements will be notified when they are released.
Brian "Fred" Schwarzer (who lives in Egremont), Pete Murthwick & Mick McCaffery have already informed the ACC Association that they will be attending the funeral.  If you live in the North West/East and can take the time off work I'm sure they'd be glad of your company & support.  RIP Ken.

Brian Schwarzer emailed me the following:

"I have seen Ken walk around town over the years but was not aware that he was a member of the Corps. None the less such a waste of a human life, in such a tragic way is beyond belief. The whole episode of events that day has shook us all to the core. May he rest in peace".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:05:57 PM by Ian E Scott »

Army Catering Corps

Sgt Ken Fishburn
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »

Peter Murthick

Re: Sgt Ken Fishburn
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »
Hi Ian
I served with Kenny Fishburn from 1966 to 1969 attached to the 47 Light Regiment RA Kenny joined us in Barnard Castle and we went on to Denmark,Germany,Bahrain,Aden,Canada and Northern Ireland.I believe he may have finished his career with 5 Regiment RA.
Kenny took me under his wing as I was not long out of Boys service and he sort of became my mentor teaching me all the tricks of the trade and especially what you could do with a ten man compo pack to make it look appetising.
He performed the role of Usher at my Marriage to Diane in October 1968 stopping with my parents for three days. He could not understand why he had a giant Yorkshire pudding before his dinner on the Sunday.
Kenny was promoted to Sergeant and was posted to 1st Battalion Light Infantry at Tidmouth.This is where I lost touch with him as he was not a letter writer,but ask him to write out a betting slip and that was no problem.
He was a lovely bloke and will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
The funeral is to take place on Thursday 17th June at 2pm at the Disington Crematorium,Workington,CA14 4QY.If any one who knew Kenny wishes to attend the funeral you will be more than welcome.
Letters of condolance can be sent to his sister Joan.
Mrs J Soppitt,2,Grange Close,Thornhill,Egremont,Cumbria,CA22 2SB
Regards to all and REST IN PEACE Kenny.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:13:06 PM by Peter Murthick »

james ongley

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:10:42 AM »
Hallo Ian and Pete,
to read Kenīs name in the german papers reporting on the Cumbrian killings was a bit of a shock.
Ken was our cook Sgt. and mate with the Ist Light Infantry. Still a single man in those days and living in the Sgts.Mess, he had a fatherly understanding for the young chefs, many of whom were ex.boys.
We served 4 yrs. here in Germany 70/74 and were then posted to Colchester. I spent 1 week there
before leaving the corps. My last job for him, was to place a bet. Red Rum, canny horse that jock, he said . Well, I placed that bet and got on the ferry back to Germany. He won that one.
Rest in peace Ken

Jim Ongley

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »
What's becoming apparent is what a great guy Kenny was, the young lads whom he has left an everlasting impression on is getting longer, this was forwarded to me today.

I hope that Tecwyn will not object, but it speaks reams of the man

Tecwyn Williams wrote:

Some info or fond memories that I have of Kenny Fishburn.
I was posted from the depot in Feb 78 to 1LI and Kenny was my first experience of a Cook Sgt as we called them in those days.
In my first week I wrote home to my family telling of my dislike for "The Sgt" they in turn told me to stick it out.
Kenny turned out to be a kind true and loyal friend unless that is if you were unfortunate enough to partner him in a game of cards then god help you if you got it wrong!
I ended up serving 6 years with 1LI leaving with the rank of Cpl a mere blink in time as Kenny served almost 20 of his years with them it was his home and he counted them (1LI) as his friends and family . Often calling the singlies his orphans. Kenny and I did 2 tours of N Ireland together and 1 tour with The UN in Cyprus.  
That was the time I cursed him for not letting me go off for the weekend of my 21st the reason being that he had ordered a 21st cake for me in the shape of a key and the mail wagon on which it was being delivered from Dhekelia to Nicosia was late.  Beneath that gruff exterior was a kind heart.
On leaving 1LI in 1982 he was presented with a full size silver bugle by the Sgts Mess an honour indeed. My final memory of Kenny was on him leaving Germany and the army I drove him to the airport (Kenny could not drive) as we said our goodbyes we were both in tears with Kenny trying to throw Deutch Marks for fuel at me and me throwing it back. I have memories of countless exercises, dinner nights and hard work and for all his gruffness (especially if the horses went down) I would not have wished for any other first Cook Sgt I am very proud to have had the honour to know him and serve under him.

I would like to attend the funeral, as I am sure many other ex ACC chefs would if I can get hold of them.

Many thanks

Tec

Footnote:
I am attending the LI Reunion in Shrewsbury this weekend, where I am sure there will be many more such recollections of Kenny, a true gentleman, soldier and mentor to many.

Ian
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:44:32 PM by Ian E Scott »

mcrads

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
Hello all,
I served with Ken in 1978/79 with 1 LI. A gruff but helpful Sgt as long as you did not upset the Eucre games. Such a waste of 12 lives. I can not get to the funeral but wonder if any memorial funds or charities are going to be sorted out. Grateful if anyone can let us know.
Stag on Sarge, M. Craddock Private retarded.

jay724

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:07:53 AM »
I had the pleasure and honour to serve with Ken in CVHQ ACC.  I have fond memories of time spent with him on exercises in Norway and Canada. I've missed him since our ways parted and I miss him more now! Rest in Peace Ken, you won't be forgotten!!

Dave S

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 01:13:34 AM »
I live in Egremont only a few minutes walk from the Old Bridge where Sgt Ken Fishburn was killed, I didn't know him and had never met him. Every news item I've read has described Ken Fishburn as being an ex-serviceman from the Royal Artillery, an ex-UN peacekeeper, or ex-1st Bn Durham Light Infantry, I may be wrong but I've seen nothing at all about him being an ex-ACC Cook Sgt. I only found out myself by looking on here and reading your warm tributes to him. Kens funeral service was held yesterday at Distington Crematorium, and there are still fresh floral tributes at the spot on the bridge in Egremont when he was shot.         

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
Dave,

Ken was ACC attached to those units and the photo of him in uniform shown on various news channels clearly shows his ACC cap badge.
I attended along with another 7 ex Corps members and ex members of 1st Bn Light Infantry and I have to add that the padre summed his service and military humour up spot on.
Jim Green and Brian Schwarzer along with 4 LI lads were the bearer party, the remainder of us formed an Honour Guard
As Colin Prophet (ex RCT) pointed out he'd survived a grenade attack in Aden to be cowardly gunned down on his own doorstep.

Offline Ian E Scott

• phpBB S.Sgt
  • STI, AMF(L) Norway
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
The 2nd June 2011 marks the first anniversary of that fateful day in Cumbria when Ken was murdered.

The family have put the following in the local newspaper and would like to sheare it with you:

KEN FISHBURN.
TREASURED MEMORIES OF KEN, A DEAR BROTHER, BROTHER IN LAW AND UNCLE.
HOW QUICKLY TIME PASSES AWAY
 BUT WE WILL NEVER FORGET THAT FATAL DAY
THAT TOOK OUR MUCHED LOVED BROTHER AWAY.
WE NEVER GOT TO SAY GOODBYE
 BUT MEMORIES OF YOU WILL NEVER DIE.
SADLY MISSED
 :(

Army Catering Corps

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »